Night Horrors, part one

More rummaging through the loft last year turned up some of Citadel’s classic ‘Night Horrors’ miniatures. Teenage me was never able to paint them like I saw them in my head. So, after chucking them in the Dettol bath, I decided to have another go.

First up, the Bedsheet Ghost. I only recently discovered this miniature’s proper name. I’ve always called it ’Boo’ because that’s what it says on the slotta tab thingo. This is the fourth paint job this miniature has had! It looks like you can get away with an ink wash and some drybrushing but in the end I was only happy with it after a lot of layering. I’m usually not fussed about specular highlighting and shadows but in this case it was the solution to getting it to look how teenage me imagined it. The base is from Renedra – I cut a slot in it to accommodate the miniature’s tab.


Weirdly, I prefer the back of this miniature to the front:


Next, one of Citadel’s many Medusa miniatures. I painted this one in 2018 for my Greek Myth project. A year later I was horrified to discover all the inks had faded despite this miniature being stored in a dark place. I’ve been using Windsor & Newton inks for twenty-five years and, while I was aware they were not light-fast, I’ve never seen this happen before.


I’ve re-equipped myself with a mixed bag of Windsor & Newton calligraphy inks (they’re light-fast), and acrylic inks from Daler-Rowney and Games Workshop. It was interesting re-visiting a miniature so soon. I’m still not an expert painter but there has been a visible improvement in my painting in just a year. Here’s the new version:


And here’s the booty shot:


Next on the list of things to paint is the Spectral Claw:


The lead is nice and soft so I bent the fingers to give the hand a sense of movement. The underside of this miniature is more interesting than the front. It’s a shame that it won't be visible when I’ve finished it.


Here’s where I’m up to. Maybe I’ll try Citadel’s new contrast paints on the bone…



Comments