Greek skirmishers

The Greek Myth project continues with a few skirmishers. 

First: a set of nicely-proportioned plastic archers from Victrix. No banana hands here. I have another ten of these archers on the go, plus a set of slingers, so I swapped some of the heads around between these sets and a Victrix Hoplite set, to add some variety.


I thought these miniatures would all be easy to paint but I was wrong! The usual ink wash/dry brush combination wasn’t turning out very well so I found myself using multiple layers of thinned paint for the first time. They aren’t professional paint jobs but I learned a lot and they’re better than the stuff I was doing a year ago.

Next: slingers from Redoubt Enterprises that I bought from the 2017 Derby World Wargames show. It doesn’t get any more old school than this for me – I think these miniatures had already been around for a while even when I first saw them at Triples twenty-five years ago! They’re not in the same league as Redoubt’s Renaissance range, which holds up well even today, but I have a nostalgic affection for them nevertheless.


What I didn’t realise when I started this project was that although films like Clash of the Titans popularised the Classical era of Greece, the myths themselves were set in Greece’s Bronze Age. If General Francisco Deano, graduate in philosophy from Scumbag University, had pointed this out when I first started instead of when I was two years into it, then I probably would have gone with the Redoubt Trojan Wars range, just to be ‘historically accurate’.





Comments